The Carter Bridge built in 1901 is one of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainland, the other two being the Third Mainland and Eko bridges. At the time of its construction, this was the only bridge connection between the mainland and Lagos Island.
The bridge was named after Sir Gilbert Thomas Carter (1848-1927) who was appointed governor and commander-in-chief of Lagos Colony on February 3, 1891. Starting as a Collector of Customs for the Gold Coast, he then became a Treasurer of the Gold Coast and the Gambia. Moving on to colonial administration, he started as the Administrator for the Gambia. His next post was as Governor for the Lagos Colony where he negotiated treaties with the local chiefs which protected Christian missionaries and ending human sacrifices. Carter in the company of soldiers travelled to various parts of Yoruba Land in an attempt to demonstrate the might of the British.
The Carter Bridge was originally constructed by the British colonial government, prior to Nigerian independence. After independence, the bridge was dismantled, redesigned and rebuilt during the late 1970s.